Fuji film simulation profiles for your camera

I always loved the mood of the different films profiles (simulations) included in any of the Fuji cameras released since the first X-Pro, the famous Fuji simulations.
They started adding the iconic Provia, Astia and indeed the awesome Velvia preset in their jpeg settings on camera and later in their color profiles develop settings for Lightroom. We shouldn’t forget to add in the list my favorited as a starting point for any type of editing: the supreme ProNegStd so perfect about any shade of colour and some black and white settings.

After the first generation, Fuj added in their cameras (and in their profiles for Lightroom) the series of preset Acros for Black and White and the super cool Classic Chrome, so much loved by old fashioned photographers looking for something close to their lost Kodachrome film!

I tested for many years various commercial product like VSCO, RNI or Mastin Labs, I thought was time to edit by myself something for Capture One/Lightroom using my experience with colors build with Merrill Cameras.
So I started with the profiles of the xt3 for Capture One 12 to rebuild an ICC profile for my Sony a7riii; after a while I achieved it and I did the same for Lightroom using the new .xmp  color setting engine.
Later I made an evolution for the Lightroom set starting from the latest xt3 v2 settings for Lightroom made by Fuji itself.
As a result, I had an average DeltaE of 0.8 checking the difference between my profiles and the original made for Fuji Cameras in both sets.

So when I edit a picture with Capture One I have this menu on “Base Characteristics” tab :

And this is what I got using these profiles, on the left original Fuji , on the right my profiles both tested on the reference XT3:

Velvia

Classic Chrome

Provia

The result was great to my eyes, making me able to use the real Fuji Velvia, or not just a bad emulation of the Fuji Classic Chrome with any of my cameras. Yes, the Chrome, imitated by every film emulation brand but not even close to this original as you can see:

RNI

My C. Chrome

On this picture, you can see my Classic Chrome profile (on the right) vs the RNI Kodachrome 1958 profile, the best ever seen on the market to emulate the famous film type; the difference is huge.
And, what about the skin-tones perfection of the Fuji cameras?
The superb rendering of that part of the portrait photography comes from both perfect white balance of the Fuji cameras and the color simulations.
So, now, we have half of the job done with every camera as you can see below with these profiles :

Adobe STD on the left, ProNegSTD on the right

Capture one std on top, Fuji Provia profile on the bottom.

Capture one std on the left, Fuji Provia profile on the right.

For anyone interested, I’m offering two different sets of profiles including:

VELVIA
ASTIA
PROVIA
CLASSIC CHROME
ETERNA
PRO NEG STD
PRO NEG HI
ACROS R
ACROS G
ACROS Y
On the bottom of the page you’ll find more samples of the complete package from Lightroom/Capture One.

In the latest weeks I built an alternative enhanced version of the Lightroom profiles, EX version, made using the internal jpeg engine of the fuji cameras as reference.
These profiles are very strong and with an high contrast curve exactly as the sooc jpeg curve from the Fuji cameras.
I’m still working on it and I’ll update asap for any new relase!

Important to know that this profile set include the color correction and the different curve for each profile selected but is NOT including the added noise as you can find in the original ACROS .

-Lightroom profiles, with 10 different film simulations for every camera (the XMP profiles work self-attaching the LUT on the profile of the camera) at the price of 39£.

-Capture One profile for specific camera at the price of 30£

Click on the logo or here to open the page with the supported camera list.

New Fuji profiles for Sony A7r IV on Capture One ARE AVAILABLE!

Sample of the A7r4 profiles on Capture One: C1 generic vs Provia vs Classic Chrome vs ProNegStd

18 replies
  1. Athol Hill
    Athol Hill says:

How close is your Classic Chrome to the Fujifilm Classic Chrome on Capture One? I’ve been looking for a good version of it.

• GiuseppeT
      GiuseppeT says:

Hei Athol, here https://i.imgur.com/bHWnOMU.jpg you can see the difference between my profile (left) and the one made for LR by Fuji (right).
      On that sample, the Classic Chrome on the right is the one made for GFX a bit more contrasted, the colours are the same for any version made for LR or C1 by Fuji, with subtle differences on contrast curve you can easily fix image by image with Luma curve on C1!

• Athol Hill
        Athol Hill says:

Thanks Giuseppe. I can live with the contrast issues, it’s the colours I haven’t been happy with in some of the other versions I tried. A lot of them are just fuji icc profiles that have been ported so not colour correct with the Sony Raw.

2. Anette
    Anette says:

Hi Giuseppe,

Do you think the Canon 5D Mark IV profiles will work on an EOS 6D Mark I? I presume they download as picture style files?

Thanks lots, Anette

• GiuseppeT
      GiuseppeT says:

Hi Anette,

Depends, If you are looking for lightroom profiles, they work for sure; for Capture One I can cook them for you if you want specific profiles for 6d!

Please let me know,

Giuseppe

3. Munawar Ainy
    Munawar Ainy says:

Hi Giuseppe, I hope the profile for Canon 5D MK 3 on Capture One is already on the pipeline. Please let me know when it is available. Thank you.

4. Kenneth Hansen
    Kenneth Hansen says:

Hi Giuseppe, using these profiles in Ligtroom Classic 8.4 red colours look posterized. I have tried applying them to an old Nikon nef file (D80) and a new Leica dng file (Q2) the result being the same posterized reds. It unfortunately means I can’t really use these profiles. Hope it is fixable, thanks.

• Kenneth Hansen
        Kenneth Hansen says:

Hi Giuseppe,
        I got the mail and the profiles look correct now, thanks a lot!
        At the risk of sounding greedy would it be possible for the standard Monochrome + YRG simulations being added to the collection of profiles. I have used the Monochrome + Y extensively with my old Fuji X100 T and would like to do the same with my new non Fuji camera. In any case thanks again for the updated profiles and for making them available in the first place.

Regards
        Kenneth

• GiuseppeT
          GiuseppeT says:

Thanks! Sorry, is not in the plan the MONO series, but in the latest update you’ll see the improvment of the Acros emulation!

5. Kenneth Hansen
    Kenneth Hansen says:

Hi Giuseppe,
    I have played around with the profiles but with some of them I am unable to clip the highlights. Instead they max out at about 93 to 98 percent in the histogram window even if the exposure is pushed +5.00, Highlights +100 and Whites +100.
    The following profiles are affected:
    Provia 2.1
    ProNegSTD 2.1
    ProNegHI 2.1
    Eterna 2.0
    ClassicChrome 2.1
    Astia 2.1
    I hope this is fixable as well. I am using Lightroom Classic 8.4.

Regards
    Kenneth

• Kenneth Hansen
        Kenneth Hansen says:

Hi Giuseppe,
        Thank you for the 2.6 update and the EX versions. I much prefer the colour rendition of the EX profiles so I have been testing them on my images and have a few comments.
        Bright colours, typically the sky, have an unpleasant pink tint of varying degree among the profiles except of course the Acros ones. This can best be observed in Lightroom’s print module with an image surrounded by a white border
        The contrast feels overpowering and I find myself fighting it on every image to bring it down.
        Deep saturated reds/pinks can exhibit tonality issues where a patch of colour looks out of place with the surrounding ones. This can be observed in image 21 (a very pink flower) in Dpreview’s sample gallery of the Leica Q2 review.
        I am unable the completely clip the hightlights in the following profiles:
        Acros+G
        Astia
        ClassicChrome
        With the whites maxing out at about 99% in Lightroom’s histogram
        I hope these comments are of some help and the issues can be fixed. I once again want to thank you for making these profiles.

Regards
        Kenneth

• GiuseppeT
          GiuseppeT says:

Hi Kenneth!

Thanks for your feedback!
          The EX is an experimental set so still flawed by many problems.
          The 2.6 is less extreme ma 99% close to the original emulation set made by Fuji, you can see that using just a simple curve on Lightroom!

In the next weeks I’ll release anther step of the EX module.

Regards,
          G.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!